Friday, January 23, 2009

Road to California 2009

Where to begin …

I went to the Road to California Quilt Show last weekend. It was a weekend of very mixed emotions for me and Marlene was on my mind so very much. You see, she was supposed to be going as well. I missed her.

We had attended last year, along with our friend Debbie. The show was great and with the exception of a couple of things that happened to us away from the show we all had wonderful time. It was on our way home that we decided that we would be doing things very differently for the 2009 show. Plans were discussed during the drive and a fourth was added to our group. By late summer we had rooms reserved.

It was a weekend of mixed emotions. Debbie and I attended the show two group members down. Deanna’s work schedule had a significant change and so she was unable to make it. Marlene was in my thoughts so many times and I saw so many things that I knew she would absolutely love.

The show was great. I especially loved the display of antique/vintage quilts. We did a bit of shopping, but I really didn’t have very much on my list. I did pick up some civil war FQ bundles, some Hobbs batting and also picked up some thread for a couple of friends. I did avoid a couple of impulse purchases (whew). Marlene would have been pleased, especially since I ran amuk at the Long Beach Quilt Show
.

Plans have already been made for 2010. We will have to see what this year has in store for us.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I am so very sorry. My thoughts are with her family and friends. I had the wonderful opportunity to meet her at Road in 2008. So very sad to hear of her passing.

Debbie said...

Deb,
I too had a great time and was thinking of Marlene. I think that she'll be with us in spirit for any quilty road trip we take in the future.

I think we did pretty good this year with those impulse buys. Well, at least I did less this year than normal...:)